Batonis Tsikhe

In downtown Telavi is located Batonis Tsikhe (Master’s Frotress) — residence of Kakheti with the area of 3 ha. Its territory embraces: the fence (constructed under the king of Kakheti Erekle II in 1753), Royal Palace (constructed in the 60-ies of XVII century by king Archil; in 1865 women’s college of St. Nino opened in this building and the Palace was remade into a three-level building; today – Telavi museum), bath (in southern part bathing room and boiler are preserved; walls of the bath were painted), and two churches (Small Church and Church of the Court of Erekle II, built in 1758, the latter being simultaneously a defence facility – it has gun emplacements). To the south-west from thr citadel, in tens of meters there is a big abutment (diameter – 14 m). Up to the forties of the XIX century a big 7.5 m length cannon stood on it.

PHOTO GALLERY