Metekhi Church - Old Tbilisi
Metekhi Church was built in 1289 under the order of King Demetre II the Devoted, although the former church stood here already in the 5th century.
This area was considered both religious and royal site, as in the 12th century royal palace was moved near the church. The name "Metekhi" may be translated as "the area near palace".
The church was destroyed and later restored several times. Under the Russian rule the site was the home of the infamous Metekhi jail.
In the Soviet period, the church stopped functioning and was used as a theater. However, with independence of Georgia, it has regained its original purpose. At present, Metekhi is an active Orthodox Church.